Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Good Fences

While in Bear Lake we helped replace an old fence with a new one.
 

 
Hannah and Caleb sure did love it when they got to use the tractor to take down that old fence.

 


Demolition can be so much fun.
 



 
They left me to do all the manual labor ;)
 

Putting up the fence wasn't quite as much fun and most of that was left to my dad and brother David, but what a Beautiful fence when all was said and done!


You can see the bee hive my dad and sister Jenni share over in the corner.  These bees weren't the creatures with stingers that gave us trouble though.  My mom and I uncovered a hornets nest under an old board and boy did they start filing out of there lickety split.  I ran around the field like a crazy woman trying to get rid of them.  Just when I thought the coast was clear, I got several stings from one that made its way down my shirt!  Boy, I sure was feeling those stings for several days after!


  
Thanks for giving my kids the opportunity to learn a little more about a thing called work.
 
 
 


While working on the fence I couldn't help but think of Robert Frosts poem Mending Wall. 


"He is all pine and I am apple orchard.
My apple trees will never get across
And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.
He only says, 'Good fences make good neighbors'.
Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder
If I could put a notion in his head:
'Why do they make good neighbors? Isn't it
Where there are cows?
But here there are no cows.
Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offence."



I just love Robert Frost.


No comments:

Post a Comment