Sunday, January 19, 2014

Homeschool

 
It's been cold
and it's been the holidays
and we've been catching up on much needed rest.  
 

So, we haven't gone on any homeschool field trips lately.
 
But we have been going to school. 
All kinds of wonderful learning going on in that unstructured and well, lets face it, quite messy environment.   

 
 
 
 
 
First attempt at a descriptive writing about a concrete object. 
They were hungry so they both choose a snack to write about.
 
 
Rice Crispy Cereal - Caleb
 
 
I like rice crispy cereal.  I see the colors white and yellow and just a little speck of black on a few pieces.  When the cereal is in the shade the yellow color disappears.  It is made of tiny little pieces the size of ants.  The pieces are loose and not stuck together and they are mostly oval in shape but a few are circular.  I would like to eat it.  It is crispy like potato chips.  When I smell it,  I think of wheat.  It makes a crumbly sound like fall leaves.   It tastes sweet like sugar.  At first bite it feels tickly, then hard, then mushy.  One bite is not enough and I want more. 




 Strawberry Yogurt- Hannah

 
When I look at yogurt, I see mostly pink with little specks of red strawberry pieces.   All around the edge there is a little white.  It looks like one sticky lump and goopy like playdough.  When I touch it, it feels like gel and is as cold as snow.  When I smell it, it makes me think of strawberries.  This makes me happy because strawberries are my favorite fruit.  It makes me think of the three little tiny strawberry plants I got to start my first patch.  When I stir my yogurt it sounds squishy and slushy like when you get water in your shoes.  It tastes similar to a bowl of strawberries and milk but with a sour after taste that lingers in my mouth.   I really like yogurt.       

 


Egyptian Death Masks

 
Reading
 
 
 
A model of the cell  

And then we threw on some extra organelles (toppings) and ate it for dinner. 


Hannah keeps the music playing from the ipad or her ipod for most of her work time. 
Music is definitely one of her passions.   

Working on a snow leopard report.  That boy sure does love snow leopards.   

Caleb and Hannah watch the birds out our kitchen window.
They are a nice diversion when school gets a little tiresome.     

Caleb is out there feeding the birds in his PJs before he's even had breakfast.

O' how we love those birds! 

That's just a few things we've been up to recently but there really is so much more. 
Science experiments, Greek and Roman adventures, art projects and being able to build these kind of things in between. 
They even did some of their work in there for a few days.


What could my little engineers be sending me.....

A note.

Guess I will stop taking pictures.

And send back a little something. 

 They loved that!

 
Well, that's home school lately.


 

 








1 comment:

  1. I liked the descriptive words that you used. I wish we could have done home school when your mom was little. We could have had so much fun. You will never for get this year. It is full of the best memories.

    ReplyDelete